Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Brutal Dreams is Out!

Find it Here!


After far too long, today is finally the release of my new book Brutal Dreams! This is a story I've had ready to go for such a long time that I almost wondered if I would ever get it out there for you to read. Now is the time for it to be unleashed on the world! Suffice to say, this one is a bit different than anything I've released so far.

Brutal Dreams is the story of Average Joe Christopher Archer who awakens from a car wreck in the middle of the woods at night. But he isn't alone in this mess, as he soon finds himself face to face with beings that Shouldn't Be. On his way to learning the truth about his missing fiancé, Archer enters a living nightmare where the rules of reality no longer apply and death is not the worst thing to be feared--what lies in the bowels of that old mansion is. But what brought him here to begin with? You'll have to find out for yourself!

Can Archer learn the truth and escape the unending death of this miasma world? Perhaps he can. But at what cost? Any man who walks into this world will never walk out the same again. That is, if he ever finds the way out to begin with.

Suffice to say, with a title like Brutal Dreams, it isn't going to be easy. Would you expect anything else? This is not a clean book in regards to violence or suffering.

Here is the official blurb:


A Living Nightmare

After awakening in the woods, Christopher Archer finds himself trapped in a world outside of time. Fog monsters, armed gangsters, and a legendary spear, all await his arrival. But what about the fiancé who disappeared months ago?

As Archer explores this eternal midnight, he can only wonder—is this all just a dream, or is there something more hidden in the dark, watching his every move?

There is one choice. He must traverse the nightmare and learn the truth.


I can't say where the inspiration for this came from except me wondering what actually would be the worst horror to wake up to one day. Most horror films are content with a lone aggressor with a butcher knife attacking low IQ college kids, and most horror books always want to make it about some weird sexual disfunction instead of true terror. I definitely didn't want that.

Therefore, Brutal Dreams is a book about a normal guy who gets the rug of reality pulled out from under him, in more ways than one. Suddenly his seemingly normal existence is gone and now he must fight in the dark for a way to reclaim some light for himself again. But can he do that with a whole world out to get him? Hopefully Archer is made of sterner stuff.

If not . . . well, you'll see.

Much like Y Signal, this release leans closer to Horror than it does pure Adventure . . . to a point. But to say anything further on that end would involve major spoilers. Nonetheless, my readers expect action when they read my books, and you will definitely not be disappointed on that front. It gets a bit wild and out there by the end--but the battle of good against evil always does. You're never going to guess where this one ends.

Brutal Dreams is weird, like everything I've done, though it goes further off the deep end here than before. The projects I have been writing recently are a tad more on the strange side--ask my editors for confirmation on that one. This was more or less the story that set me down that path, and I can finally share it with you all today. It gets weirder from here. And yes, Brutal Breams available in both paperback and kindle form. Physical copies aren't going anywhere under my watch. I want readers to have as many options as possible. As should be standard in NewPub.

Here is the paperback cover:


A bit different than my usual covers


I guess what really got me started on this one was the 1980s horror novel boom I had been indulging in and the genre movies I'd covered on Cannon Cruisers and elsewhere. Basically, I wanted to write a sharp and to the point story of adventure, terror, and excitement of the kind the mainstream no longer offers audiences and of the type editors destroyed with tons of needless padding to break the pacing. Brutal Dreams is a bit of a throwback in that regard, but it is NewPub-style work of rock solid pacing and constant escalation all the way through. You're not going to believe where this one ends. Trust me.

One thing I learned, and it might have been when writing this book in particular, is that I can really do anything I want. I don't have to hold myself back in the fear that something might be too weird, violent, or against some imaginary rule system. As a consequence, a lot of off the wall things happen in Brutal Dreams, but it's all logically consistent with the story being told. It's something I should have already known, it just finally sank in fully here.

And this is a trend that has continued with other things I've written. You might have read Y Signal, but that's only one of them. Upcoming short stories (to be announced later!) are a lot crazier than usual. The sequels to Gemini Warrior get progressively off-kilter, including the ones I haven't even written yet. The next project I'm working on, and will hopefully be out this year, is the most bizarre thing I've ever considered doing, and I'm still a bit in disbelief that I'm actually doing it . . . and that it is working out. It's getting strange, folks.

Then there is the future beyond that.

The last two years haven't been as smooth as I'd like. My writing output should be higher than it is, and I'm definitely working on trying to get it back up to speed again, but life is what it is. Hopefully I can still reach my goal of 4 books released this year, because I am very close to achieving it. Nonetheless, there is much more to come even after 2020 ends.

Check out Brutal Dreams today! You definitely won't read anything else like it. I've made certain of that!






Untold horror, a mysterious secret, and a lost love! What else is waiting in the world of Brutal Dreams? Read today and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment