Thursday, August 6, 2020

We've Got the Pulp Mindset!

I got a THIRD tag!


I have to say, the past week made things quite hectic around here. I'm almost not even sure what to say about what's been going on, though you certainly know by now. None of this was expected, least of all by me.

It's been a long week, but it's safe to say that The Pulp Mindset has been a big success with readers! As shown in the image above, I've managed to get #1 New Release orange tags in three different categories on amazon. All of this is thanks to my intrepid and very generous readers. You guys really went all out, and continue to show that you want positive change in the arts.

While 2020 has been treacherous for a whole host of other reasons, those of us in arts and entertainment have been pushing ahead hoping to provide blue skies where some might only see grey. What else can we do? Apparently audiences have been more than willing to reciprocate, showing that we are all very much on the same page.

For this particular success, I'd like to thank everyone who purchased a copy of the book, those who read it on Kindle Unlimited, those who left a review, and those who helped me promote it so far and wide on social media. Every one of you helped make this a success far beyond what I had hoped or expected. Thank you so very much!

If this doesn't show there is a hunger for more in entertainment then nothing will. OldPub is over, and now it is time for greener pastures.

It's great to know that so many others are interested in ataining the Pulp Mindset and joining the rise of NewPub. Things are really changing in the creative landscape, and it's invigorating that so many others are not only aware of it, but are actively preparing for the change ahead of them. The '20s are going to be quite the shift from what we were all used to, and very little from the 20th century will still be around to hold us back.

In other words, we are finally stepping into a 21st century world. Prepare accordingly!

On top of all the fantastic feedback from readers, I also managed to appear on the SuperversiveSF podcast last Sunday hosted by author Ben Wheeler. We talked about the Pulp Mindset and a few other related subjects for nearly an hour and a half. It was a lot of fun, and you can hear the show and my appearance on it here.


It's over 80 minutes long, so settle in!


But I don't want to make this post just to repeat things you might already know, but to highlight what is coming next! I don't plan on resting on my laurels here. The Pulp Mindset also means you must keep moving and producing. I plan to do so.

As I've said before, my goal for this year was to get three books out, thereby doubling my total published output in a single year. We have just passed the halfway point for 2020, and I've just released book #2 into your hands. In addition I've also published a FREE novelette for newsletter subscribers, have had a story in an issue of StoryHack, and will be in two volumes of the Planetary Anthology. It's safe to say that I'm well on the way to hitting my goal for this year.

On top of that, I've just received edits for book 2 of Silver Empire's Heroes Unleashed and my Gemini Man series with Gemini Drifter, and am cutting through them as we speak. It's not going to take too long. Aside from just me, Heroes Unleashed is about to have a flood of new content burst out of the dams from new and returning writers, so be sure to keep an eye out. The next few months are going to overflow with goodness!

In addition to book 2, I'm also very far into writing book 3, Gemini Outsider, and will be getting back to it after edits on #2 are polished off. That's my next work to finish. The first three books of the series sort of have a mini-arc to them, so I would like to have all of them out close together before I dive in deeper. So you can expect many heroic adventures ahead.

Those that have been following Wasteland & Sky and have purchased both Someone is Aiming for You & Other Adventures and The Pulp Mindset are aware that I keep promising a book called Brutal Dreams, but have yet to mention more than that on the project. Well, you haven't seen it because it will be the third book I put out on my own this year. Just like Grey Cat Blues, it is a shorter pulp length work meant to be read really fast to keep the blood pumping. This one leans more into Gothic Horror than what I've done before, though there is plenty of action to be had, because that is just how it goes. Nonetheless, I am aiming to have Brutal Dreams out before the end of the year.

In between all of this are a pile of short stories currently waiting for homes, as well as a few others half-written or edited and needing some spare time to polish off. Nothing is really open to submission right now so they just sit, waiting for their chance to strike. I hope to be able to give them the focus I need between the above, and with what is coming in 2021.

That's right, I also have a bit of 2021 planned out. We're looking ahead into the new decade!

But this all makes perfect sense to those paying attention. The next decade is definitely going to be a monumental shift from what came before, as those who have read The Pulp Mindset are aware.

My First Orange Tag!

My Second Orange Tag!


Next year, I am hoping to do a crowdfund, my first crowdfund. That will require a bit of looking into and such, but it is something I definitely want to attempt for myself. Crowdfunding is a new avenue for NewPub, so it only stands to reason that I should explore it for myself.

This crowdfund won't be for anything I have discussed on this blog or anywhere else, but for a brand new project that I have yet to discuss with anyone at all. Those aware of what I write probably know the general idea will be action-based, but as for the content . . . that's going to be a bit of a surprise. I can promise that it will be as exciting as it it will be weird.

Suffice to say it isn't like anything you've seen before which is why I'm going to need the help of readers to make this a reality. It's easily the wildest idea I've cobbled together so far, so I'm going to need plenty more time to get it ready for prime-time, especially with other projects on the docket to be written and released first. I'll reveal more about this one, but in the future. Needless to say, 2021 is going to be a wild time!

For now, we have plenty to focus on here in the crazy year of 2020. I've got quite the full plate.

But this is my way of saying that there's plenty of road ahead, many different possibilities, as long as we're willing to make that move. I wasn't expecting such a loud and visceral reaction to The Pulp Mindset, but it appears there are many out there that want more than what's currently being offered on the withered vine of OldPub. They want adventure! They want action! And we're going to give it to them! As OldPub crumble into dust we are going to be thrown into the spotlight in their place, whether we want to or not, and whether we're ready or not.

And you would be surprised how many of us there are out there. I know I am shocked every time I meet more of us.

I know plenty of creatives that are quietly making their art and getting ready to unleash it on the unsuspecting world, and still I know yet others who are still struggling to learn the craft but continue plugging along regardless. These are the creators that are going to be taking over the field when OldPub collapses under its own dead weight. If The Pulp Mindset can help them do it even faster then I will consider it an even bigger success than I even imagined. Get ready for the change ahead, because it's definitely coming!

This isn't just to declare victory before the battle is even over, but to say that its going to take a lot for OldPub to right their ship, and it's going to take steps they will never make. The industry is too bloated, too decayed, and too tired, to gather the energy it needs to completely overhaul itself and put the customer first again. Too much bureaucracy, too much ideological bias, and too much focus on chasing silly urbanite trends, have left them without any oars to paddle. They did this to themselves. At the same time, too many exciting ideas and creations have been springing up in the burgeoning frontier of NewPub to bother readers giving those dinosaurs the time of day anymore.

Why give money to people who hate you when you can have more fun with people who don't? Life's too short to waste on decaying industries and forgotten fossils.

Meanwhile, I'm going to continue to do what I always do here on Wasteland & Sky and talk about exciting goings-on in the present, great future projects, and some of the overlooked ideas and products of the past. There's a wide world of art and entertainment out there, and I'm going to keep exploring it. We have much to discuss, and much more to enjoy!

So I would just like to use this post today to thank all of you readers and promise you all that more is on the horizon. I won't be stopping anytime soon, and I'm happy to have you on this journey with me. It's been quite the ride, but we can't stop now. There's too much on the road ahead.

We have the Pulp Mindset, so let's use it.





2 comments:

  1. JD

    Cool! I can't wait for the next Gemini installment. I need to buy the Pulp mindset and add it to my read list.
    Can't wait for the crowdfunding novel

    xavier

    ReplyDelete