Saturday, May 20, 2023

Weekend Lounge ~ Livestream With SuperversiveSF!



Not much for this week! There's been a lot going on around here outside of the blog, but in case you missed it I was on SuperversiveSF's livestream last Sunday. We talked about a lot of things from the state of publishing, to creativity, to anime (a lot of this in the last chunk!), to the Gemini Man Kickstarter currently going on. It was a good time! I hadn't been on a stream in a long time due to carious other factors, so it was nice to do one again.

Speaking of the Kickstarter, we just hit the next stretch goal, the one I was most hoping to reach. Thanks to all the backers, I will now be writing a full-on concluding short story (probably a novelette, honestly) to conclude the wider story around Matthew and Jason, our protagonists. In other words, Gemini Man, as far as the Kickstarter release goes, will truly be a complete edition. I'm looking forward to getting started on the final story one the campaign has ended properly.

However, due to the increase in paper costs for everything, I'm not certain how I will be able to offer this to readers in the future. Amazon just announced in June that it will be putting its prices up for everything outside the more common standard sizes, which means any release like this will rocket u in cost. As a consequence, I do not know what this will mean for a physical release beyond the Kickstarter edition. I am also toying with swapping around the upcoming stretch goals if we reach them due to the potential change in production costs. This might be the only time I can get as much content in the printed edition before I have to revamp the whole project, not to mention it isn't as if backers themselves particularly benefit from new covers aside from it being a treat. More story content is probably preferable. I'll probably make a poll for backers to decide what it is they want more of. We'll see.


I am not yet sure, so don't take everything here as gospel yet, but the upcoming changes are putting a bit of a monkey wrench into the project's future beyond the Kickstarter. Given that I am big on preservation and keeping things as widely available for as long as possible, I'm still weighing my options. That said, if you want a physical release of the entire thing, the current Kickstarter is the best guarantee that you will be able to get one.

All that aside, thank you for all the support! I can't say I was expecting quite this reaction so early in the campaign's life, and we still have a little less than halfway to go. Where will we end up? Well, that is for you to decide!

NewPub is about the readers and what they want, after all!






No comments:

Post a Comment